Sunday, December 6, 2015

Quit doing these things to people of multicultural heritage (seriously)

My mother is a Filipina and my father is a half-Italian American. Growing up half Southeast Asian and half (mostly) Caucasian was and continues to be incredibly confusing. I know for a fact that not all, but several other mixed individuals have felt conflict in the area of cultural identity. There are definitely a group of those who fortunately don't have to experience these things, but I'd say a large number do. Interracial relations have grown increasingly more welcomed and accepted socially, but people still say some things that are offensive, whether intentional or not. I'd just like to share a few examples.

Stop pressuring mixed people to choose a "side".
This one is so common. One thing that drives me crazy is how people stubbornly see in black and white, and this thinking most definitely applies to how they view racial/cultural identity. This may be a shocker, but more than one ethnic background can coexist in a person, I promise. Yes, it is not impossible. Don't ask someone "So are you _______ or _______?" They may identify with one more than the other, but for heaven's sake, they. can. be. both.

Stop invalidating how they identify(!!)
Oh boy, this one comes back stubbornly, much like herpes. I'll just use my background as an example for this next piece. If I say something reflective of my Asian background, don't say "but aren't you white too?" In a circumstance where I tell you about negative experiences I've experience as someone who is Asian, don't reply with "but you're also white". I mean really, how is that relevant? If what you're going to say starts with "But aren't you....", just don't say it. Save everyone's time. Also saying "You don't look _________" when someone tells you what they are is rude. First of all, people of the mentioned race/cultural background will not all look the same. Secondly, someone will look like the identity they've stated because that are that identity.

Don't treat multicultural people as some sort of "other"
A common struggle for mixed people is a heavy lack of belonging because we often just don't quite fit in. "You're too _____ to be _______" is not an uncommon phrase. Individuals tend to feel out of place in any of the cultural groups of their heritage, regardless of how they identify. Another dehumanizing piece is fetishization and objectification. Especially with mixed women, people will consider them exotic and fetishize the heck out of them. Also, there's this recent obsession with having mixed kids, which on the surface sounds positive, but 100% makes several mixed people including myself uncomfortable. The fascination with multicultural people and children causes further alienation.




No comments:

Post a Comment