Sunday, December 6, 2015

Reading for Fun

In my freshman year, I took AP Art History, and continued with AP classes in each year of high school. The large amounts of homework and night textbook readings soaked up almost all of my free time and effectively slaughtered my interest in reading. Before, I used to either read a book a day, or embark upon massive novels a week each. Reading was a major hobby of mine, and I often read instead of slept. I was a very strong reader that flipped pages quickly and had an active imagination. Unfortunately, my reading shifted mainly to textbooks with the coming of high school. Sure, I can read textbooks fine and get a lot of information, but when I would try to read a book for my own personal enjoyment, I could not longer effectively follow the plot or feel the author's intended impact.

Recently though, I've decided to pick up reading as a hobby again. Honestly, compared to the skill that was there before, I suck. My focus floats and the pace is much slower than before because I often have to go back to absorb all the written details. Hopefully I can rebuild the skill with lots of practice and determination. Right now I've decided to focus on Haruki Murakami's books because I enjoy his topics and style, plus I can organize my the order of books I read by the varying complexities.

I just want to encourage anyone that enjoys reading to keep dedicating time to immerse yourself in words because the skill does go away if it's not exercised.

No comments:

Post a Comment