Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pros of Winter Photography (will add photos later)

I am simply a summer person. When I was new to photography, the winter period presented little productivity. In fact, I can only recall two memorable instances of me going out and taking pictures (compared to my usual weekly/biweekly outing). The white uniformity outside and cold temperatures left me uninspired and discouraged. 

This year, I held a portrait shoot with the coming of the first snow and it was just lovely. Though I still prefer summer and fall shooting, there are distinct pluses to winter photos. 

1) The white snow acts as a natural reflector to sunlight. The light bounced off of snow casts a bright glow on your model's face. The more common overcast days are also a pro, with softer and more even lighting. 

2) Snow acts as a seasonally unique prop. It can be thrown for cute and quirky shots. When it snows, there's also an added atmospheric element, contributing to mood. In either instance snow adds movement and interest to a scene.

3) Sunrises come later. Sunrise and sunset are ideal shooting hours due to the diffusion of rich soft light. I'm all for waking up with the sun, and occasionally do a sunrise shoot, but especially in the summer, it's just so incredibly early (5am!). In the winter, however, the sun is just as lazy as you, and rises at a reasonable time. 

4) The barren trees and snow allow for a fairly blank canvas. With a less distracting background, your foreground garners extra focus. Having a lack of colors also causes more saturated tones to dramatically increase in vibrancy. This is especially useful for color play. 

5) Freezing outside preps you and your subject for relaxing hot cocoa afterwards. After I finish shooting, I chill with my model and go through the resulting pictures together. I must admit that it's best in the winter when there is heating, fuzzy socks, blankets, and hot cocoa. The harsh cold just makes the warmth even more relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment