Sunday, February 7, 2016

2.14

Valentine's day is actually my favorite holiday, which is ironic as it's considered one of the most commercialized holidays, as well as a sad day for singles. I'm someone who hates Hallmark movies (no plot variety, come on), always happens to be single in February, and despises materialism. Why do I like it so much? I don't exactly know.

Perhaps this is because of my upbringing. My parents were somewhat strict and devout Christians. Of course, Easter and Christmas were celebrated in our household, though Christmas has always been kind of eh to me, and Easter was a lot of fun, but also resulted from Jesus's death three days prior. My parents are also rather patriotic, so United States-centric holidays were acknowledged as well. The secular and non-country related holidays weren't played up too much on the other hand.

When I was young, there was an excitement in preparing my little Valentines cards. Though the folding and taping was rather repetitive and boring, receiving them from others was so much fun. Even more enjoyable was making the container which would hold the accumulation of Valentines. Arts and crafts were my thing as a kid, so I really got creative with these.

As I got older, the romantic aspect did become a little obnoxious, but I could look forward to having a nice dinner with my best friends. The general theme of love manages to reach my stone cold heart, I guess. We'll see how this year's pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment