Sunday, March 20, 2016

Looking Back When Dissatisfied

Always looking for something new is a symptom of my short-lasting interest. I get tired of things quickly. Lately, it's been in the matter of music. I've been listening to the same few artists on repeat for at least a couple months now. As with any other instance of musical tiredness, I tried finding new content that I could shift to for now. Unfortunately, I've lacked success and just kind of stayed within the realm of those same artists.

Recently, though, rather than searching for new, I've returned to the old. I don't mean a few months ago old, but rather years ago. Mindfully skipping over my terrible short-lived EDM phase in eighth grade, I've listened to both the favorites of last summer and some iconic favorites from as far back as 2008.

With this revisiting of old music comes the emergence of old memories. The feeling of nostalgia stirs in my stomach and I feel just a shred of my younger self return. I'm reminded that in the never-ending forward path of time, you've just gotta recount the past sometimes. When my mind is transported to the past, I really get to see how I've grown and changed, as well as my friends. The feeling makes me want to gush to them of how much I appreciate them, as they've been with me for years. It maes me want to discuss our shared memories and share a good laugh.

The thirst for the new should not extinguish the flame of the old. You should not cling to the past by any means, but rather be mindful of what's happened, and how it's shaped who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment