Sunday, September 27, 2015

Last Dinosaurs' "Zoom": Young Observation



When I first came across Last Dinosaurs, it was their quirky name paired with the funky cover of In a Million Years that caught my attention. Who doesn't like dinosaurs? I mean, come on, you can't deny the charm. As I listened to their songs, I could tell they were just as cheeky as their name. Their song "Zoom" really interested me. Its upbeat melody and intentional lyrics were impressive. Upon inspection, I found that the song accurately described the thoughts of any young person caught in a period of reflecting upon their past, but also looking in fear at the future ahead.


Before any singing, "Zoom" introduces itself with the reel of a cassette tape and the first few bits of the song. Songmeanings.com user rfazz15 commented "I really like how the song starts out as a tape being played. It kind of reinforces the idea that the entire album was written in a 'retrospective point of view.' This is a look on past events and it's about coming to terms with them" which I found really clever. It's a subtle detail that's easily overlooked, but neat when you notice it. 

You know you're not the only one
To see the boy that you
Hold very close to you
He's not your kind of guy

The first lines of the song are what the singer wants to say to a girl he admires. He knows that her love interest is seeing other girls, and concludes with his disapproval.

I hope you realize
I have no care for answers
'Cos now you're standing only next to me, Oh Oh
So take me on a tangent
'Cos tangible is something we perceive, Oh Oh

This next part describes simply enjoying the moment with this girl. The singer is with the girl he's taken interest in, and only cares about right there, right then. He's cherishing the moment, relishing her company. I love how he mentions the concept of keeping your mind present and enjoying every second, because I find that not only most people, myself included, are so distracted by past happenings and/or future events, that we miss out on what's happening around us. Not to mention the placement of "'cos" right after "tangent", which plays on the trignometry terms. 

I don't want to be just another
Fighter without fire, nothing to inspire
In a million years when we're older,
Finally we can be part of history

I absolutely adore the chorus. The singer says he doesn't "want to be just another" which is an significant fear when growing older and creating an identity. He doesn't want to be the typical adult, a "fighter without a fire" (someone passionless, living without purpose) with "nothing to inspire." This a person who repeats the same cycle daily, spending their time at a job they don't even enjoy, just going with the motions. I feel this way myself. When thinking about the future and possible careers, it's one of my worst nightmares to live a passionless life. The next line, "in a million years when we're older," captures the young state of mind. As a teenager/young adult, youth feels like it'll last forever and adulthood is incredibly far away, a million years away. I'm reminded of the ironic phrase "Adults suck, then you are one." It's similar in addressing the seeming immortality of adolescence. In reality, one grows up so quickly. Lastly, the line "finally we can be part of history" displays the feeling of not being able to do anything significant until being an adult.

From retrospective points of view,
It's time to reinvent
Don't care to what extent
Subconscious disarray
I want to look away
I'll live for shadow play

When looking back at himself, the singer decides it's time for change, perhaps radical change. He decides to live for "shadow play," ancient storytelling with shadow puppets beind a translucent screen. This can be interpreted as wishing to live for expression.

I can't tell the difference when everyone's pretending to play ball, 
Oh oh
Now I'm all for resistance,
But I can't take it anymore, Oh Oh

"I can't tell the difference when everyone's pretending to play ball" refers to everyone creating a facade to seem unique in order to excel in competition, but instead becoming even less distinguished. The singer wants to avoid this himself, but finds it overwhelming and exhausting to maintain. 

I told you, I tell myself
It's alright, alright, alright

The bridge of "Zoom" is the singer trying to assure himself that everything is okay in the midst of internal chaos. The more confused he feels, the harder he tries to convince himself that everything is fine.

"Zoom" by Last Dinosaurs is overall a comforting song for those scared of living a life without cause. In the distress of youth's transition, it serves as a reminder that it's not a solo experience. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the meaning behind the song. Just listened to it and it was a treat that made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of the meaning behind the song. Just listened to it and it was a treat that made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the very colorful language that you used in this post, your writing style reflects your personality well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the very colorful language that you used in this post, your writing style reflects your personality well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up my friend, still reading this from 2020 and liking it!

    ReplyDelete