Sunday, September 20, 2015

Most Beautiful Moment in Life (Caleb)




"I remember thinking, 'You know, this is definitely something I want to do for the rest of my life. "


After hearing Mariah share her childhood experience (here), I turned to Caleb and asked him the same question: "What was your more beautiful moment in life?"

His response: "When I felt most beautiful or...?" We all laughed.

"Oh shush. You know what I mean!"

"Okay, okay. I guess it was when I met my little brother for the first time, I was completely speechless. I remember the first time I held him -we were are the hospital- and I was thinking 'This is...so this came out of my mom. (I laugh a little bit.) I didn't want to hold him. I thought I would break him like a toy or something."

"How old were you?" I asked.

"I was five. I still remember this. IT was sunny. It was really sunny out. I remember the sun coming through the hospital room's window. Yeah, and I remember getting a toy airplane from my aunt.  I also remember my grandma getting annoyed with me while I was playing with it and her taking it away..."

He also described his second experience with a fire on duty as a volunteer firefighter.

"It was towards the end of winter, and I was sitting in a radio room looking online and was talking to Savannah...was I dating her or did we just break up? Anyway, she didn't believe me when I said we were on the news from Wednesday night when we had a fire. I was looking it up so I could show her when I heard the radio paging Hiawatha for a structure fire. Like Northwood Court or something like that...ah, wait, Ashworth Court. I yelled 'Fire!' then went to get my bunker gear on and go to the truck. As I was walking to get my bunker gear, pagers start going off. Guys are all running out. There's like ten or twelve of us stationed there at the time, so we were all racing to get on the fire engine. I was the first on in there and started strapping myself in. I put my seat belt on, then a dispatch comes over and says 'Heavy smoke and flame showing.' About that time, my officer gets in and we turn out of the station. The entire time there, I"m thinking, 'You know, I should have went to the bathroom.' (I start laughing.) That's seriously what I was thinking. We're going down Emmons, turn onto Blairs Ferry crossing, then go down, uh, Ashworth Drive, which leads to Ashworth Court. We turn onto Ashworth Court and there's nothing showing, so I'm just like ' okay, guess that was b*******'...oh sorry! (Laughs.) I get out of the truck, I grab my tools, then my officer comes on the radio and says 'We've got fire. We've got fire and smoke in the kitchen.' Troy pulls the line, Kyle goes, backs him up. I grabbed a second set of tools, and Morgan, my partner, pulls second line. Kyle and Troy make entry and as they do, through the garage, fire comes out the top of the doorway. I remember thinking, 'You know, this is definitely something I want to do for the rest of my life. They go, get it pretty well knocked down. They run out of air, and are in there for about twenty minutes. Me and my team go in. I punched holes in the wall, tore out some cabinets, found a little spot fire, and the inside of the refrigerator caught fire. I didn't even know it was a refrigerator because it had melted so much that it looked like a lava lamp, but like frozen! It kind of looked like a snow bank. So much plastic. Then there was burnt milk. Milk literally turned brown in the fridge.  Crazy."

2 comments:

  1. I like how you've avoided writing a "diary," yet all these stories are so personal. Keep up the amazing work. This one is particularly awesome. Can't imagine having that job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you've avoided writing a "diary," yet all these stories are so personal. Keep up the amazing work. This one is particularly awesome. Can't imagine having that job.

    ReplyDelete