Sunday, October 18, 2015

Photography and Me



I'm known by my family and friends for continuously changing interests. From drawing to painting, painting to crocheting, crocheting to knitting, knitting to jewelry-making, jewelry-making back to painting, painting to polymer clay, polymer clay to graphic design etc. It didn't take me to long to transition from one investment to the next. The only consistent hobbies of mine have been dance and photography.

Since I was young, cameras had been intriguing to me. When my mom would give me a disposable camera to take pictures on a field trip, it was the same sensation that my peers experienced when given candy. Rather than play games, I was much more interested in freezing the action in film.

Unfortunately for my mom, I would also borrow her digital camera in 2nd-4th grade. The device was a small brick-ish prism that had an amazing video recording function. It could only shoot 30 seconds of 240p footage. The pathetic brick was the key to Youtube fame, my mini dream in elemtary school.

 My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix s220, a birthday present at the gate of pre-adolescence. It was a pristine shade of aqua and could fit in my pocket. I mostly took pictures of my pet birds and my friends (things most important to me). When I felt especially edgy, I would lock the door to my room, wear my most lovely plaid blouse and bleach white jeans, and take super high fashion photos. It was pretty professional stuff.

As I grew older, I took greater notice in the details of my surroundings. Frosted spider webs hiding under the patio and raindrop-adorned flowers caught my attention. My compact camera just wasn't good enough anymore. I wanted art. After some web research, I created a birthday proposal for a new, better camera. The Fujifilm Finepix s6800 was the bridge camera for me. I want to be able to not only capture sights, but also preserve and portray feeling. From 2014 to 2015, my bridge camera was a tool in investigating macro, shutter speeds, aperture, etc. My passion for photography was born. I even eventually gathered enough confidence to post an image on Instagram. It was a big deal for me to let others see something I was serious about. By the summer of 2015, I was ready for something more advanced.

If getting the $160 Fujifilm camera was a heavy request, asking for financial aid in obtaining a Nikon D3300 was huge. It took months to convince my dad that my ability had outgrown the camera I already had. Eventually I did get it, and it definitely paid to invest. The photos were clearer, the colors were actually nice instead of being abrasive to the eyes or dull (pre-editing), and the was actual subject isolation. It was amazing. With the new camera, I had actual options outside of macro photography (due to the fujifilm's small sensor). Even with macro photography, the DSLR did it at least 600x better, of course.

The first picture I took with the D3300. That's its box on my brother's head. Pretty great night.


Now, photography is almost a need, a fix. If I don't take pictures for a long period, I feel awful. Through a camera, things are just so much more beautiful. Photography also gave me the ability to share thoughts, feelings, and sights. Not only could I share, but I also received reward through comments on my flickr. A post on my tumblr also became pretty popular (788 notes!). Not only did I feel more confident, but my friends also beautiful through portraits I took of them. Overall, photography allows me to see, share, and even create beauty. The ability to capture memories is another huge thing to me. I hope to be able to look back decades from now at moments in high quality. Though I still jump around other hobbies, taking and editing photos created a home for itself - it's staying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment