Sunday, April 10, 2016

Accom(pany)lishment



Just yesterday, I traveled a couple of hours to Des Moines to attend an arts awards ceremony in which I won first place in photography (high school division) and gave a short speech. Of course, in the thanksgiving part of my speech, I could not gloss over the fact that I didn't work alone. 

It was December when I had an idea to take some photos using mirrors. As the mental image developed further, the idea to include suspended cranes emerged as well. I knew, most definitely, that I would need to assemble a team. My father and I sought out two mirrors to reflect into each other, and he lent me his rig (which he used to create a hood when painting model planes). Next, I found my model, shared my idea with her, and got even more excited. She and I met to adjust the height of the setup, as well as the arrangement of suspended origami cranes. Of course, I would need to assemble a team to hold the mirrors. Fortunately, a few friends were available. 


The morning of the shoot was cold, painfully so. Not only were we cold, I also had everyone meet at sunrise. Furthermore, that mirrors were heavy and cut off circulation in the hands/fingers. It was a long, treacherous ordeal. 


Without the hard work of those friends, the vision I had would not have been brought to fruition, reminding me that we often need other people to help us succeed. Those people should be appreciated and never taken for granted, as they're not required to help you.  In short, "teamwork makes the dream work."

No comments:

Post a Comment