Sunday, April 3, 2016

Hardest Time in Life: Danielle

With all my posts on people's most beautiful moments in their life (Danielle, here), I decided I should include the opposite as well. I believe you can learn so much about a person by knowing what hardships they've faced. After all, as Leo Tolstoy said, "Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story."

"Would you feel okay talking about a hard time?"

"Yeah, I guess, but it might take me a while to think of one. Wow, that sounds awful to say."

"Nah."

"Never mind, it didn't take it long at all. It's more like a collection of memories. Basically just all the times my dad and brothers have made some sort of snide comment or joke about my weight. Ever since I was 6 or 7, I'd say."

"Could you describe the situations and what they'd say as well as how you felt?'

"I don't know. One just happened a while ago. I found some old coffee filters in our kitchen drawers and said 'Wow dad, they've been in the drawer since I was a small child.' And he stood there for a second and said 'First things first, you were NEVER a small child, let's get that straight.'"

"Jesus Christ."

"Yeah, my dad and brothers are kind of assholes. One of my brothers always brings up this story of when I was a kid and I was in the middle of eating lunch and asked mom what was for dinner. And then my other brother would always call me tubby and beat me up and stuff. So yeah, those were the worst times in my life so far."

"He beat you up?!"

"Yeah, it happened to me a lot as a kid. It's the main reason I hate him so much now."

...

"I'm fine with it, though. Overall, my childhood was great. I'm just sharing the absolute worst parts. "

"Yeah, but still..."

"Meh, my mom made up for all of it. She's a really good mom. I forget about it sometimes, but I know I'm really lucky to have had her."


No comments:

Post a Comment